For the summer of 2017 ICG hosted five different summer undergraduate placements, three focused on scientific research, and two on public engagement with research.
The projects for 2017 were:
- Thomas Divers (Southampton Undergraduate), Modelling the galaxy clustering of the DES and eBOSS surveys, with Dr Santiago Avila [details]
- Virginia d’Emilio (RHUL Undergraduate), Reconstructing the history of the Universe using cosmic structures, with Dr Seshadri Nadathur [details]
Ogden Trust Placement
- Lewis Watt (Nottingham Undergraduate), Linking Galaxy Morphology to the motion of stars, with Dr. Karen Masters [details]
Public Engagement Placements:
- Wiktoria Kedziora (Portsmouth Physics), Investigating the impact of the Portsmouth StargazingLIVE events at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (Funded by an STFC Small Award) with Dr. Karen Masters and Dr. Jen Gupta
- Andrew Cook (Portsmouth Physics), The Tactile Universe Outreach Internship. (Funded by The Ogden Trust). Dr. Jen Gupta, Dr. Nic Bonne and Dr. Coleman Krawczyk
As usual it was a pleasure to host such enthusiastic young people in the department for these 6-8 week placements, and we look forward to hearing more about the outcomes of the work, and the future careers of our placement alumni in the future.