Colloquia are held at 2:30 pm on Thursdays in the Dennis Sciama Building. They feature talks by external speakers. Talks are preceded by lunch with the speaker, and followed by tea.
Colloquium organisers: Marco Bruni, Daniel Whalen
Show past events
- Silvia Zane (UCL) TBA on 2nd Mar 2017
- Marta Volonteri (IAP, Paris), TBA on 9th Mar 2017
- Rob Crain (Liverpool John Moores University) TBA on 16th Mar 2017
- Luca Amendola (University of Heidelberg) TBA on 23rd Mar 2017
- Daniel Baumann (Cambridge) TBA on 30th Mar 2017
- Marzia Rivi (UCL), Bayesian Techniques for Radio Weak Lensing Measurement on 27th Apr 2017 The new generation of radio telescopes, such as the Square Kilometre Array, will reach enough sensitivity to provide a density of detected galaxies comparable to that found at optical wavelengths, allowing weak lensing measurements in the radio band. Standard techniques for the measurement of cosmic shear are based on the best fitting of galaxy shapes from...
- Roberto Maiolino (Cambridge University) TBA on 4th May 2017
- Muhammad Latif (Institut Astrophysique de Paris), TBA on 11th May 2017
- Thomas de Boer (Cambridge), Reconstructing the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy on 18th May 2017 The Sagittarius (Sgr) dwarf spheroidal galaxy and associated stellar streams provide valuable tools for the study of galaxy formation and evolution in the more massive surviving satellites of the MW as well as giving insights into the (dark) properties and assembly of the Galactic halo. Using data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS), we...
- Chris Frohmaier (Southampton), TBA on 25th May 2017
- Stefano Borgani (Trieste, Italy) TBA on 22nd Jun 2017
- Duncan Forbes (Swinburne University, Melbourne) on 29th Jun 2017 Prof. Duncan Forbes‘s interests span most of extragalactic astronomy and cosmology, however he focusus on observational aspects of galaxy formation and evolution. He has a leading role in the international SAGES project (Study the Astrophysics of Globular clusters in Extragalactic Systems) which combines HST and Subaru imaging with Keck spectra to better understand globular cluster...