Do you like dancing? Are up to a challenge? Take part in this unique FREE dance and astrophysics project where you’ll need to choreograph a dance that interprets one of the Scientific topics we research at the Institute for Cosmology and Gravitation (ICG), University of Portsmouth:
- The first minute of the Universe
- Dark energy: when stuff does not fall down
- Is gravity what we think it is?
- Super structures in the Universe
- Light bent by mass
- Supernovae: a story of dying stars
- How do galaxies work?
- Evolving stars for building galaxies.
How to participate:
If you have between 11 to 16 years old, you can to take part in a FREE one day workshop
- ‘Dancing the Universe’ workshop. On Wednesday May 30th 2018 we will have a FREE one day workshop, in which we will facilitate the creation of dancing pieces by the participants inspired in the research carried out at the ICG. The participants will be invited to the sharing event to see the film of the day. Register here or here (this event is supported by UP for Uni).
- ‘Dancing the Universe’ sharing. We will invite all the participants and their parents to the University to see the videos filmed during the workshop.
Dancing the Universe WORKSHOP
Register to this FREE one day workshop, Wednesday May 30th 2018, in which we will facilitate the creation of dancing pieces by the participants inspired in the research carried out at the ICG. The participants will be invited to the sharing event to see the film of the day. We would document the process, through filming, to create a toolkit that can be used to have this kind of workshops in the future with different Science topics.
The workshop is aimed to a maximum of 20 people between 11 and 16 and it will take place at the Priory School, Portsmouth.
The workshop will be delivered by two professional dancers: Grace Hall, from the Neptune Girls group, and Roni Edwards from Padmozi Creatives. The science will be delivered by Dr Violeta Gonzalez-Perez from the University of Portsmouth.
|10-10.45||Meet and greet and an Introduction to Gravity, Galaxies and Dark Energy by Violeta.|
|10.45-11.25||Warm up and learn part of the core choreography.|
|11.35-12.30||Introduction to dance creation by Roni and Grace and discussion in groups. Work in pairs|
|13.30-14.00||More on Gravity, Galaxies and Dark Energy by Violeta.|
|14.00 -14.55||Warm up with a speedy dance class and learn the core choreography and build up from that in groups.|
|14.55 – 15.05||Break|
|15.05 – 16.05||Continue creating with the help from Grace, Roni and Violeta.|
|16.15-17.15||Sharing and filming the your creations! There will also be a Q&A session where you will have the opportunity to explain what you wanted to achieve with your choreography.|
Dancing the Universe SHARING
When: 16th July 2018 from 5.30 to 7 pm.
Where: The HUB, ground floor of the Sciama building, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3FX.
We will invite all the participants and their parents to the University to see the videos filmed during the workshop. We will also have an space related activity!
This project could not be possible without the sponsorship from the Royal Astronomical Society and the support from the Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation and the University of Portsmouth, in particular the time from Dr. Jen Gupta, Maricar Jagger, Emily Smith, Claudia Bradshaw, Georgia Heath and Julie Bower.